So, You Wanna Know about Frigidity?

The purpose of this blog is, as the title suggests, to discuss my personal pain and frustration with being married to a frigid woman. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the term, a “frigid” woman is one who is emotionally and physically cold. She simply does not want physical contact with her husband, especially having sex. I am sure there are frigid men out there, but I am pretty sure the overwhelming number of people that fit this description are women. I would like to differentiate between women who just have sex less as the years go by, and those that simply do not ever want to do it at all. I have read that psychologists define a “sexless” marriage as one in which the couple has sex ten times or less a year; there have been several years like that for me. Most married adults have sex, on average, between two or three times a week. I am lucky if it happens more than once a month and isn’t gawdawful. You are welcome to read, but please try to avoid slapping stereotypes and quick judgments on me or her. For those of you that are looking for something to “get your jollies,” well, I hate to disappoint you, but this blog is not it. If anything, you will read scintillating tales of people not having sex.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Giant Seesaw

The wife's behavior towards me has whipped from one extreme to another.  Lately the wife's icy shell has shown some cracks, but then she freezes over again.  On Monday a couple of weeks ago, we had a giant argument after she tried to blow me off for reality TV again.  I had had a horrible day at work, and I decided to trek upstairs for some company.  The missues was clearly irritated that I was interrupting The Bachelor.  I told her I was tired of being ignored almost every night, and I needed some company.  I added that I was ready to turn off the satellite TV and unplug the Internet so she would have to spend with me.  She continued to boil over because I had interrupted the reality TV show.  I suggested that, if she had to watch TV, maybe we could pick something we could both watch.  She said she didn't think there was such a show (yeah, right).  I then offered that we could alternate choosing shows; I would pick one night, then she would pick the next.  She said she was completely unwilling to give up her shows, even for a day.  That is when things really blew up.
On Tuesday, I decided to give her a taste of her own medicine.  I parked myself in front of the best TV right before her favorite shows were gong to start.  I was in a little bit of a pickle right before the hour, as I hadn't actually picked anything out to watch ahead of time.  I selected a channel that I knew she wouldn't like at all.
To my surprise, she sat down and offered to watch a recorded episode of a show we both liked, despite her earlier claim that there was nothing on TV we would both enjoy.  We had a perfectly civil evening enjoying something funny that was not reality TV.  She didn't even open the laptop to Facebook.
On Wednesday, though, we're back to the square one.  In the morning, she told me I was "off the hook" for going to a concert with her.  About a month ago, she asked if I would attend a concert of a band I had barely heard of.  I couldn't name a single song from the band, but I agreed.  It would be an activity for the two of us, I could get out of the house, and, who knows, the band might even be good.  I was actually looking forward to it.  Then, on Wednesday, she informed me that she had asked a friend of hers to go, and I didn't "need" to go anymore.  I was shocked, to say the least.  When I asked for a clarification, and told her I was looking forward to it, she said that she really would rather her friend go than me.  Further, she really didn't want me going to the concert if there was a chance I really just didn't like the band.  I was furious, and taken aback by how brazenly rude, inconsiderate, and thoughtless this was.  She tried to change the subject to whether I wanted to go to some dumb cookout at her friend's house, and didn't seem to understand why I was mad.  I angrily told her, in one sentence, that I couldn't believe she thought this was a good idea.
My wife is perfectly capable of being nice and courteous, especially to other people.  She often acts as if the rules of courtesy just don't apply when dealing with her husband.  Whether it is a lack of respect for me, an attempt to make my blood boil, or because she has gotten too comfortable, I am amazed that she simply does not think of these things.
Thursday was a different day.  She made a point of telling me, out of the blue, that she did not mean to hurt my feelings.  She did not mean to ditch me for someone better; she just thought I wouldn't want to go.  She told me I could still go if I wanted to, and her friend would just have to be disappointed.  She then said something I hadn't heard in over ten years:  "I'm sorry."  I about fell off my seat.
I'd like to say I know things are getting better, but I don't know that.  I just wish I didn't have to be ready to leave her for her to get the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment