So, You Wanna Know about Frigidity?

The purpose of this blog is, as the title suggests, to discuss my personal pain and frustration with being married to a frigid woman. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the term, a “frigid” woman is one who is emotionally and physically cold. She simply does not want physical contact with her husband, especially having sex. I am sure there are frigid men out there, but I am pretty sure the overwhelming number of people that fit this description are women. I would like to differentiate between women who just have sex less as the years go by, and those that simply do not ever want to do it at all. I have read that psychologists define a “sexless” marriage as one in which the couple has sex ten times or less a year; there have been several years like that for me. Most married adults have sex, on average, between two or three times a week. I am lucky if it happens more than once a month and isn’t gawdawful. You are welcome to read, but please try to avoid slapping stereotypes and quick judgments on me or her. For those of you that are looking for something to “get your jollies,” well, I hate to disappoint you, but this blog is not it. If anything, you will read scintillating tales of people not having sex.

Sunday, June 2, 2013

No progress on one front

Today I would like to describe, in detail, all I have done as a husband, and what is waiting for me at the end of the day.  Perhaps in a few weeks I can look at it and see if things are any better or worse.  My wife's behavior towards me continues to get better, but we are still at a standstill with physical contact.  Whatever progress was made a few weeks ago in that arena is not with us anymore.
On the plus side, I did my weekly team sport (a full four hours being gone from the house) without any whining or guilt trips from her.  That is an improvement.
She actually made no objections when I told her I was going to switch to another team, which might mean being gone for additional time each week for a few weeks.
There was no nagging, criticisms, or requests for unreasonable things.  Those are also improvements.
However, the list of what I did for her today was considerable.  What did I get at the end?  Zip.
When I got back from the game, I rushed through lunch so that she could get to an event with our daughter.  When they left, I ran a load of laundry for her.  This is normally her chore, and she didn't ask me, but I thought it would be nice so she wouldn't have a ton to do when she returned.
After the event with our daughter, she asked if she could go to the fitness center and work out by herself.  This would mean that I could NOT work out at the same time, and I would have to watch the kids.  This is not a big favor, and I did it to be nice, but it was still a favor.
After dinner, she asked me if I could go to the store and get her something for a work project she had to do at the house.  When I didn't say anything (because that WAS an unreasonable request), she explained that she could save time by setting it up while I went to get the stuff.  That made sense.  Again, it was not a super-large favor, and I did it to be nice, but it was a favor.
I helped her out with the first part of her work training project.  Once it was done, I helped our daughter get cleaned up for bed.  Not a big deal, and one of us had to do it, but it was something I did.
She went upstairs after this to supposedly work on the second part of the work project.  I agreed to watch the kids for an hour and a half so she could get it done.  Once again, watching the kids is not unpleasant, and it made sense to do so so she could get this thing done, but I could've spent the time doing something else.
Her sister called unexpectedly about this time.  Instead of working on the project, she talked on the phone for over an hour.
I put the kids to bed by myself.  Not a big deal, and someone has to do it, but it doesn't have to be me.  As I put the last one to bed, I walked into the bedroom and realized she was watching TV and on the Internet.  The work project was not under way.
I decided to sit with her for a spell and see if there was any physical affection (not just sex) possible this evening.  Her parents had been in town for several days, and they do their best to make sure none of that happens while they're here.  Now they were gone, and we hadn't had sex in about a week and a half.
I sat through about fifteen minutes of the Bachelorette with her before deciding to say something.  I can't stand that show, but I was willing to sit there tonight if there was at least some physical contact.
As I started the conversation, she immediately broke into a complaint about something she said I said in front of her mother a few days earlier.  I had no idea what she was talking about.  I honestly do not remember the conversation she said I had that was "extremely rude."  I would bet it was something very minor that was taken completely out of context, and she apparently said nothing about it at the time.
After a few minutes of stony silence, I decided to snuggle up to her.  At this point, she had decided to work on her work project, and needed help with the math.  There was no way to try and snuggle now; she would just say I was interrupting an important work item, that was supposed to have been done about two hours earlier.
I helped her out with the math, and she finally put the books away.  At this point, after sitting through an hour of a stupid TV show, and helping her with her work, it was now or never.  I asked if she would want to snuggle up; she said "no," she just wanted to "lie down."  (Whatever that means).
I am sure in her mind I am some kind of crappy husband who doesn't deserve affection, or she shouldn't bother to show it to me.  Perhaps that snap about some remark I may or may not have made several days earlier was her little rationlization for today.  That thing I said days ago absolved her from doing anything nice for me.
After sitting through an hour of a show I hate just to sit with her, running errands for her, helping her for a few hours on her work projects, and watching the kids for hours so she could work out and chat with her sister, I feel that I deserve something better than this.  I didn't let her walk all over me, but goodness knows I did a lot of favors and tasks I really didn't have to do.  I am not a shitty husband.  I am not perfect, and there is also something more I can do.  But that's not a requirement for being a good husband.
Perhaps tomorrow I will just act a little mean, maybe even be a complete ass, just to prove a point.  I'm sure she'll have a list of complaints tomorrow at bedtime, and then I'll just say "I was nice all day yesterday, and it made no difference."
When I look at this in a few weeks, I hope I can say things have changed.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with my (frigid) wife nearly 10 years now. No amount of favors or help is going to get you what you crave. You can't trade anything for love and affection. I've tried it all.

    ReplyDelete